Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Sneak Peek!!!

I knew that my little Black Cochin Banty hen was setting on eggs.  The roosters had been kicking her off the nest so I made a barrier to keep them away and thought the eggs should hatch any time now.  Steve and I went out this evening and found one light colored chick and we could hear another one but couldn't see it. Of course I forgot to take my camera.  When Steve and Jordan returned home after Jordan's Band concert I took Jordan out to see and this is what we found.  A little black looking one peeking out from under Momma's wing, still wet.  I saw another dark colored one too, but wasn't fast enough with the camera.  Mamma wasn't too happy with me poking around under her feathers to see just how many she has.  It was hard to tell just how many eggs she had under her but it looked like about a dozen, the other hens had been laying them in her nesting box or she had been stealing them, not sure which.  I don't know if they will all hatch or not but I hope so.  It will be fun to see how many banties and how many full size chicks hatch.  

When I took the picture of the chick Jordan said "Wow!!! He gets his first look at the world and you blind him." 

I'll keep you posted on the progress of the chicks.

Happy Scrappin',

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment