Monday, August 12, 2013

Mixed Media Art Canvas for last Saturday's Class.

Here are the samples that I created for the Mixed Media canvas class I taught on Saturday.

When I created this one I knew I wanted to use the Gears from the Artiste Cricut Cartridge and I knew I wanted them to look old and rusty.  I found a Gear stencil on Amazon.com and purchased it for this project.  I first started by printing the picture out on printer paper.  I then used Mod Podge to glue the picture face down to the canvas.  If you choose to follow my directions DO NOT add Mod Podge to the top of the picture. I wiped the excess Mod Podge off the canvas with a damp cloth.  I used a heat gun too dry the Mod Podge.  Once the canvas was dry I spritzed it with water and gently rubbed the paper off leaving the picture.  The image that it leaves is grainy because it is on the canvas.  I liked the results, but then I spritzed Slate Gray ink over Jordan's face, that is why I covered it with an actual picture.  If you like the look of a clear picture, this technique probably is not the look you will like.

I used CTMH's inks and Acrylic paint to sponge different colors on top of each other. It became really dark so I used some Gesso to cover and lighten it up, then I added color back into the area I thought was too light.  I cut the gears on the Cricut from the Artiste Cricut Cartridge I cut some from Chipboard and some I welded in the Cricut Design Studio and cut out of paper.  I sponged paint and ink to the gears and I also covered 2 of the gears in Liquid Glass and let them dry. Then I added the chipboard gears and the paper gears to the canvas.  I then layered the picture onto the Whisper cardstock and adhered it to the canvas.  I love how this turned out.

With the second one, I used Texture paste and stencils, ink and acrylic paint.  The peacock feathers are first done in texture paste then I sponged green paint over them and then I decided to add the brown with a marker to highlight the feathers.   You can't see all the texture on the canvas but there are layers upon layers of sponging and texture.  I punched out butterflies and stamped a close pattern on them.  I cut the roses from the Artbooking Cricut cartridge and curled them with CTMH's Quilling tool and glued them in place.  I cut 2 sizes of the other flowers and layered them after I used the Sizzix Susan's Garden Tool Kit for sculpting the flowers.
I added the yellow stars to the centers to finish them off.  I cut 2 intricate swirly designs from the Artbooking cricut cartridge, one in Lagoon and one in Gypsy and placed them on the canvas.  I backed the pictures of Hailey giving me a pedicure in Black and then in Gypsy and used 2 layers of foam tape to pop them up off the canvas.  In the lower right corner I added some black tulle, a Olive swirl and some bling.  I added 3mm flat back pearls to the scallop edge of the picture and on the butterflies.

I had 4 ladies take the class on Saturday and here are their canvases.  I love how each one is different and very creative.  I had the ladies practice with the paint and texture paste on scrap paper before they started on their canvases.  Liz even used paint with a stamp and stamped the swirls on the left side of the picture.  She added texture paste over the teal paint.   
 Karen brought her own stencils and used them.  She decided she wanted to experience the whole technique so she actually glued the picture to the canvas and after adding the texture paste she decided she wanted to add an actual picture where she used Gesso to cover the image.  I cut some gears out for her to use on the canvas also.  You will be seeing more of Karen's artwork as she joined my CTMH Scraptastic Treasures' Team.  Welcome to the team Karen.
 Heather used Red and Blue paint and sponged it on the canvas, then added texture paste to the center of the canvas and then painted it Yellow.  She Sponged red paint over the gears stencil and I cut out gears from the Artiste cricut cartridge.  She added green brads to the gears and popped them up on foam tape.  She backed the picture and placed it on the yellow texture.
Stacy added texture paste with a leaf stencil to the corners of her canvas and painted then added color on top of the leaves to bring all the colors together.  I cut Dragonflies from the Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge.  Stacy stamped an image in Chocolate ink on Daisy White cardstock and I cut the
overlay dragonfly image and then cut the main dragonfly base from Creme Brulee cardstock Stacy glued them together with liquid glass and adhered them to the canvas. We cut the word Live out in two sizes from the Artiste Cricut Cartridge and she used the larger L and the smaller "ive" then added a small heart, that we also cut from the Artiste cartridge, over the i to make it Lve.  Stacy then added Liquid Glass to the heart to make it shine.  We cut 3 rolled roses from the White cardstock that she had stamp in chocolate and she placed them on the canvas.  She forgot to bring her picture but knows where she wanted to place it when she returned home.
 They all turned out so cool.  Now I have lots of ideas to use on the other 2 canvases I plan on creating watch for those in the coming weeks.

I enjoyed teaching the class on Saturday, meeting new people and sharing ideas.

On Sunday, I was just getting ready to unload the van from the night before and the house phone rang.  It was my friend Jeannie.  I haven't heard from her in months and was so excited.  She asked what I had been up to and so I told her about my canvas class and she wanted to take the next one.  She asked if we could do the class at my home.  Of course I said yes!  
The canvas below is the one my friend Jeanie created at my house on Sunday.  She used a page from a magazine and a picture.  She glued the picture to the canvas and rubbed off the paper.  then painted around it.  Jeanie added texture and sponged over stencils, she also spritzed ink onto the canvas over the gears.  Jeanie stamped the swirls onto the magazine page and glued them to the canvas with Mod Podge.  This is kind of dark but we both liked it when she was finished.
.
It was so good to see her again.  I had such a great weekend.  

Watch for more artwork coming soon, as I am working on projects for the Clark County Women's Expo. in Ridgefield WA.  September 14th & 15th.  

Happy Scrappin',

Janice



No comments:

Post a Comment