Sunday, April 25, 2010

Old Friends!

I went to The Dalles last Thursday to help run an Estate Sale for my in-laws.  They are awesome people and have moved in with my Sister-in-law Dianne for a little extra help.  I have always known how special they are but to see all the people who were concerned that something had happened to them was very touching.  We had so many people try to pay their condolences only to find out that they moved.  At one point the front room was full of people and a lady offered her condolences and I said that they were both fine, and that they had moved in with their daughter for a little extra help.  The entire room turned around to hear what I was saying and then expressed relief to hear that they were OK.  Some of the people didn't know their names, but see them on the porch and wave or walk by and visit occasionally.  To see how many lives they have touched just by sitting on the porch was awesome.  

Steve's Sister Dianne and Brother Jim and Jim's wife Alex helped us get the sale ready and for me it was fun to listen to Jim and Dianne in the kitchen pricing the dishes.  I was in the bedroom setting out the quilting books and magazines.  I walked around the corner to find Jim in an old frilly Apron and Dianne explaining why she priced a plastic Mid-Columbia Medical Center water cup at $1200.00.  Dianne explained that $1200.00 was 1/2 of what it cost to get the cup, since you only get them if you spend some time in the Hospital.  Yes we knew that it wouldn't sell but we were having fun while we were working.  On Friday during the sale Jim put a $1.00 sticker on Steve's back just out of his reach to take it off.  I mentioned to Jim that I personally thought Steve was worth more than a dollar and he said he was only selling the shirt off Steve's back.

The sale was a lot of work but a lot of fun at the same time.  On Saturday, Steve made signs saying that everything was 1/2 off.  So, that meant that all of the 25 cent items were now 12 1/2 cents.  But no one had the 1/2 cent and we sold all the tools the day before, so I couldn't cut the pennies in half.  I'm sure some people thought we were a little loony but that's OK.  We ended up with about $1100.00 and it only took a day and a half.

While I was helping with the sale an old friend of mine from school stopped by.  We haven't seen each other in 30 years.  It was almost like we had never lost touch.  It was so nice to see her again.  I hope we get to see each other more often.  

This is twice just this year that I have had my friends from 30 years ago find me.  I have thought of them often, but didn't know where to look for them.  

I hope, that when I am older and sit on my porch and wave to everyone, that I have touched so many people's lives and they show how much they care.  

Happy Scrapin',


No comments:

Post a Comment