Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I've been a little preoccupied lately.

I will apologize up front, as this is going to be a long post without pictures.  A few weeks ago, Steve came to me with a very scary issue.  He had been having issues having to rush to the bathroom, he almost couldn't make it sometimes.  He was getting up several times a night.  I suggested that he go talk to the doctor.  Well things got worse.  He came to me a few days later and asked for me to make an appointment, he had found a lump in his groin.  When he went to the Dr. he explained what was going on and thought that might have something to do with his many bathroom dashes.  Dr. Tyler sent him to see a Urologist, long story short they didn't take our insurance so I requested to see Dr. Menashe at the Oregon Clinic.  He was Steve's Kidney Dr. last year.

In the mean time Dr. Tyler got to thinking about what Steve had told him and requested that he come by and do an A1C blood test.  I had no idea what that was until we got the results that Steve is Diabetic.  Dr. Tyler explained diabetes to us and told us that Steve's A1C level was at 12. which is very high.  He suggested that Steve start on a medication called Kombiglyze once a day.  Steve has been taking it now for 4 weeks and has changed his diet so much that he is keeping his glucose levels under 120 and most of the time they are around 80-90. He is not taking insulin and it doesn't look like he will have to, which is awesome. I am so proud of him. He is doing amazingly well.

We met with Dr. Menashe on June 20, 2013 and he examined Steve and ordered an Ultrasound, which came back as a fat filled Hernia.  Dr. Menashe strongly disagreed with the results and recommended that the mass be removed.  He also call a couple of his Colleagues in to examine Steve, they agreed that it should be removed.  We scheduled a Left Radical Orchiectomy on July 1st.  Dr. Menashe was going to remove the lump and the left testicle just as a precaution, that way if it were cancer he don't have to go back in.  We were told that the recovery should take between 4-6 weeks and that the results of the pathology report would be in by Monday July 8th.  The procedure was an outpatient procedure, meaning that Steve would come home that evening.

It has now been a week since Steve's surgery and he is doing well.  We had an appointment scheduled for noon yesterday, but Dr. Menashe called and rescheduled, YES you heard me right Dr. Menashe called.  He gave us the results on the phone and we got great news.  The mass was BENIGN, no cancer.  It was actually solidified fat.  What a relief that was.  Maybe Dr. Menashe will let Steve start driving again soon.

This last week has been a nightmare at times.

On Monday, we went to Providence Portland at noon to get him checked in for his 1:30 surgery time.  They took us back to the room and explained that while Steve was in surgery I would need to pick up a pager so they could let me know when and where to meet with the Dr. after surgery.  The Dr. who had to room ran late so they didn't take Steve back until 2:25 pm. I got the pager and sat and crocheted for a short time, the pager went off at 3:04 pm, I met with Dr. Menashe and he said surgery went well and that Steve should be back in his room soon.  My pager went off again at 3:18 pm letting me know that Steve was back in his room and I could go in to see him. After Steve was able to hold down some water and crackers, they let us go home.  On the way home,  we had to buy Briefs for Steve as he normally wears boxers, and pick up medicine, we got home about 7:30 pm.

Tuesday Steve wanted to go to the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  I didn't think it was a good idea but he kept saying I can drive myself.  Not on Oxycontin you can't.  So I took him.  That night he started with a low grade fever and shaking chills.  I called Dr. Menashe and he wanted to see him in the morning.

On Wednesday,  I had to take James, my Son, to Salem to work.  While there Dr. Menashe called to see how Steve was doing.  Not too happy to hear that Steve was in Salem.  We had to go directly to his office in NE portland.  Well on the way north on I-5 the van started having trouble, the tranny went out just before the Canby Exit.  I was able to take the ramp and get out of the way.  I called my Daughter Dawn to come get us then called a tow truck.  I didn't think Steve could get up into the tow truck very easy.  Had to call Dr. Menashe back and tell him we were going to be late.  Not happy again.  Once we got home and showed them where to put the van we got into Steve's truck and off we went to NE portland.  I haven't driven his truck in a while and I knew it was getting pretty bad but I had no idea it was as bad to drive as it is.  It needed a tune up badly but it also needs shocks and struts and who know what all else.  I hit the highway about 50 mph and the truck started rocking side to side.  The faster I went the worse it rocked.  I still had to get onto the freeway and go across town.  Then we had to come back home.  I was so stressed I cried most of the way there.  While at the Dr. Menashe's office, he examined Steve and said that he was in better shape than most at that point after surgery.  Told Steve to go home and rest and not to take the Oxycontin unless he really needed it in case that was the problem with the fever.  No going to Salem, just rest.  I realized that I still had to go get James that evening.  Thank goodness James got a ride to Wilsonville.  I sent James a text asking if I could Drive his car to pick him up.  So when it was time to go I got into his little Honda Civic Hybrid and off I went.  I got there a little early and rolled the windows down turned off the car and sat waiting for James to get there.  I went to start the car when he got in and it wouldn't start.  He gave me specific instructions on how to start his car and it still didn't start.  Then we realized that the dash wasn't even lighting up.  The computer was down.  We pushed the car to start it and it started but the computer never came back on.  By this time I was in tears again.  So stressed from all of it. So again we called Dawn to the rescue.  Charlie and the kids came with her.  She got out and gave me a big hug, which I so badly needed.  Then I asked if Charlie could drive James' car home and I could drive hers and see if I could get 3 out of 4 odds on breaking cars.  She and Charlie politely turned me down.  I still had to make dinner when I got home.

On Thursday, the 4th we stayed home, Steve was pretty antsy all day.  That evening he asked me what time I wanted to get up the next day.  I replied NOON!  He chuckled and went to bed.

The next day was Friday and I knew he wanted to go garage selling.  Sure enough his alarm sounded at 6:30 am.  That would give us time to eat breakfast and I could take care of the chickens before we had to leave.  I think Steve must have had a virus on Tuesday, and passed it onto me. Because I got up not feeling well and had similar symptoms to his on Tuesday.  I didn't feel like going garage selling, but I kept hearing Steve say "I can drive myself, it's not that big a deal."  We spent the next 3 days garage selling.  He has a 10 lb weight limit for lifting, so I had to make several trips at a couple sales, because he bought so much stuff.  Remember a few paragraphs back, Dr. suggested not to take the oxycontin unless he really needed it, well he hasn't taken any since.  He has taken a few Advil, but only once a day maybe twice.  He is doing so much better than I thought he was going to do.  I figured he would lay around whining for the first few days then want to go garage selling and end up hurting himself, but that hasn't been the case.  While we were out I did get him to schedule a time with Les Schwab to get new Shocks and Struts on the truck, that is happening on Wednesday. Yeah.  My van is going to be towed to Sandy to get fixed and that will hopefully be done and I can pick it up by next Friday.

Before his surgery, I knew he was going to want to go garage selling that weekend, so I rescheduled my Mixed Media Canvas Art class that I had scheduled for Saturday, because I didn't want him driving himself until the Dr. released him to drive again.  And I knew he would if I wasn't home.

Yesterday we got up, showered and got ready to go to his appointment when the Dr. called and rescheduled for today.  Of course since we were already to go somewhere we had to go, couldn't stay home and rest. He's worse than a little kid.

WOW!!!  What a week it has been.  Seems more like a month has passed already.  I'm hoping that Dr. releases him to drive, so I can just stay home.  There's so many things that I need to do.  I did take a few minutes to place an order of the new products before we left for his surgery on Monday.  It is supposed to be here Wednesday and I want to play with my new "Artbooking" Cricut Cartridge.  One problem, the stamp room is a mess.  All the mail has just been dumped in there all week and I haven't put away the stuff I was using to finish the Mini Album that I taught at last month's class.  I did finish it, it needs pictures, but it is finished otherwise.  I've had to go find things like my old Galaxy S phone because I broke the screen on my S III on Saturday before Steve's surgery, so James is going to replace my screen, but in the meantime my S III is in pieces.

So now you are caught up on what was preoccupying me these last few weeks.  I hope in some way this information helps you, or at the very least entertains you.

I will try to post an update about the baby chicks here soon.  And get a sample up for my Mixed Media Canvas Art Class coming up in August.  I also have to get started on our Ideabook kick-off party favors.  I have a lot to do.  Keep watching my blog for updates.

Happy Scrappin',


No comments:

Post a Comment