Friday, October 12, 2012

New Baby Chicks.

Medusa has been setting on 2 eggs for three weeks now and so I have been checking on her quite often the last couple of days. There were still 2 eggs yesterday morning and yesterday afternoon, when I went out to check on Medusa to see if we had babies, we did.  One was all dry but the other was still wet.  My hens like to lay in the same nest box and so sometimes there are 3 different colors of eggs in the one nest.  I tried to keep Medusa from nesting but she insisted.  She even pecked at me once when I tried to take the eggs so I told her she could keep 2 and I put and M on both and pulled all of the others that I found.

Here are pictures.

 I believe that the first one is a Silver Laced Wyandotte, because it doesn't have many feathers down it's legs and on it's feet.
This one is a Cochin, it has lots of feathers on it's legs.

It is getting pretty chilly at night now, I hope they will be ok.  I have heat lamps in the coop so I think they will be fine.  I will keep you posted on the growth.

On a sad note, I lost my favorite hen yesterday.  Sarasvati, the hen that just hatched chicks in July.  Sara was a Partridge Cochin
RIP Sarasvati Feb. 2011 - Oct. 11, 2012

I have a crop and card class on Saturday so I should be able to get some artwork made.

Happy Scrappin',

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment