Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you changed to look of your current home?

Several years ago I dreamed of taking out some walls and making my home open and giving it a larger feel.  I talked to my husband and that's where it stopped.  Can't take out that wall.  No, I don't like that idea. It's too expensive. It's too much work with all of us living here.  That is what I heard everytime I tried to bring up the subject.  I would say, but it would be so much nicer. It would bring the value of the house up.  It would make it more attractive to buyers if we ever had to sell it.

I have shared in the past that I have severe allergies and recently I became allergic to eggs due to a Whooping Cough booster shot. Not realizing that it was an egg allergy, I continued to eat eggs 2 more times. The swelling from the allergy caused my herniated disc to bulge pressing on my nerves that go into my legs. I couldn't walk more than about 25 feet, so everywhere I went was in a wheel chair.  Four long weeks I spent in the wheel chair.  Of cousre there isn't enough room to be able to use the wheel chair in the house so I had to use canes to get around in the house.  That wasn't much fun at all.  Dawn was amazing, coming to help me everyday while taking care of her family and trying to prepare for her trip to Florida.  We were going to fly down and meet them in Orlando.

Well the day came and I was actually beginning to walk a little more, but not enought to go through the airport or Orlando.  We took my wheel chair and were off to Orlando to spend time with the Grandchildren at Disney World.  We upgraded to a Scooter at the parks, it was so worth every penny. I know $70.00 a day seems like a lot, but what it saves in manual labor and feeling of being a burden is well worth it. Plus you get $20 back each day when you return the scooter.

We had an absolute blast.  Loved our time there and with the grandchildren, but was worn out and ready to come home.  On our last night there we said our goodbyes and headed to bed as we had to get up at 3 am to catch the flight at 6 am. Dawn and Family had a family reunion in the Keys they were headed to. We made it to the flight on time and had a layover in San Fransisco and finally pulled into the driveway at 4:30pm Saturday June 18, 2016. Totally exhausted and just wanted to go to bed.  We would worry about unpacking in the morning.

As we pulled in the driveway, Dawn sent a text with a picture of the view from her FIL's boat house. A beautiful view.  

As I walk into my house, this is what I see. 

I was in such a hurry to leave on our trip, I left my computer on the floor.  The pile of bags I pulled out to try and find the right one to take.  My VFW Business bag.  UGH what a mess. 

So, you kow where I started this blog post?  That's right.  They house is now empty and there's no reason we can't remodel.  Yeah!!!  Well, that was me a couple weeks ago and now, I'm like Let's get this project going, I have things to do. 

This tiny line to the ice maker caused a flood in the house that hit all but 2 rooms in the house.
                                              

We talked about it and because of the situation I was in before we left on vacation, we need to update the house. I never know what will cause me to be in a wheel chair or for how long.  As long as it goes away no one will do surgery so I have to be prepared for what comes up.  

We have already talked to a builder and we will be taking out these walls and opening up the house.  We will be putting in a large island to help with storage. The fridge used to set on the back side of the wall on the right, it will now go on the back wall at the end of the counter by the Dishwasher. 

We started taking out the cabinets last night.  All the upper cabinets are down and the pantry has been out since the flood.  All that remains are the lower cabinets with the corner, sink and the one past the dishwasher.  We left the Microwave so we can use it till the remodel actually starts and the cabinet above it is where the microwave is vented.

This is going to take way longer than I first thought and I am not real happy about that, but I know I will love the finished results. 

I am planning on combining my Sewing and Scrap rooms together so I will have pics for that as well.  My craft room is 11' x 15' with a 2' x 8.5' closet. it has 2 large windows that I love. 

I'll make sure to keep you updated on the progress as we go.  Hopefully this week the builder will be here with our plans and samples so we can get started.

I bought white paint to start painting my craft room. 

I hope you will check back often to see what is happing and how things are starting to take shape.  Soon I will be back to my craftyness and share all of that too.

Happy Scrappin',

Janice




No comments:

Post a Comment